How Do I Vote Absentee (Early Voting)?

If you are a registered Wisconsin voter, you can access My Vote Wisconsin at: to request an absentee ballot, you can also check the status of your absentee request.  Your application must be received by the clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Thursday before the election in order for an absentee ballot to be SENT to you.  You will also need to provide a copy of your acceptable photo ID with your request.  If you have not previously provided a copy of the photo ID, photo ID must accompany your first application by mail.  If you are not already registered, you will need to register to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent to yo.  Voters who are indefinitely confined, meaning they have a difficult time getting to the polls due to age, illness, infirmity, or disability, may request that a ballot be automatically sent to them for each election.  Indefinitely confined voters do not need to provide a photo ID with their absentee ballot request.  More information on the exceptions to the photo ID law can be found at:  

The absentee ballot request is made to the city clerk in writing using the Application for Absentee Ballot (EL-121) or by letter or email to the city clerk requesting an absentee ballot which provides substantially the same information required on the application form.  

Deadline for Returning Your Absentee Ballot.  Your completed absentee ballot must be delivered to the municipal clerk no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.

Voter I.D. Law.  Please note that Wisconsin Law requires Photo I.D. to vote.  You must submit a copy of your Photo I.D. to us before we can mail you an absentee ballot.  If you have not previously provided a copy of your Photo I.D., a copy of your Photo I.D. must accompany your absentee application.  Absentee voters listed below are exempt from the Photo I.D. requirement by the following means:

  1. Electors who are definitely confined
  2. Electors residing in care facilities served by a Special Voting Deputy
  3. Military, Permanent Overseas Voters

Remember, you can only vote once!  Please note:  In 2011 the Legislature passed Act 227, which prohibits a voter who has returned a completed absentee ballot from voting at the polling place on Election Day.  Previously, voters who cast an absentee ballot and changed their minds could go to the polling place and vote on Election Day, and their absentee ballot would not be counted. This is no longer an option.  

You will need to provide a copy of your acceptable Photo I.D. with your absentee ballot request.  Most information about the Photo I.D. requirement can be found at:

Useful Links

Contact the Government Accountability Board at:  1-866-Vote-Wis  or at:  Access absentee ballots online at:  MyVote WI:  Photo I.D. Information: Wisconsin Elections Commission:   

absentee ballot.

Show All Answers

1. Do I have to show a photo ID to vote?
2. How do I register to vote?
3. How Do I Vote Absentee (Early Voting)?
4. Where do I go to vote?
5. Where do I vote if I live in one of the townships around Amery?
6. Election Dates?
7. Poll Hours?
8. How do I Run for Office?
9. How do I become an Election Official (Poll Worker)?
10. How do I Sign the Poll Books at the Polls?
11. Is a Proof of Residence Required to Vote?